Superfoods are a special category of foods found in nature.Though there is no legal or medical definition, superfoods are nutrient powerhouses that pack large doses of antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamins, and minerals, nutrients that we need but cannot make ourselves. Eating them may reduce the risk of chronic disease, and prolong life, and people who eat more of them are healthier and thinner than those who don’t.
The Benefits of Superfoods
- Improving your nutrition: All the superfoods are rich in the nutrients your body needs, and they’re very low in bad fats and processed sugars that can ruin a diet.
- Strengthening your immune system: The nutrients and phytochemicals in many superfoods keep your immune system strong so you’re less likely to catch colds and the flu.
- Fighting free radicals: Superfoods are rich in antioxidants, which destroy the free radicals that can damage the cells in your body. This protection improves your health, reduces your risk of disease, and helps you age gracefully.
- Reducing the risk of cancer: The nutrients, fiber, good fats, and phytochemicals found in superfoods reduce your risk of several types of cancer.
- Keeping your heart healthy: Those same nutrients, fiber, good fats, and phytochemicals also protect your heart by reducing inflammation and keeping blood vessels healthy.
- Feeling better: Superfoods help you feel more energetic.
- Boosting metabolism and watching your weight: Many of the superfoods are high in fiber and low in calories, so you can load up your plate without adding many extra calories. Some of the superfoods that are a little higher in calories are rich in protein, fiber, and good fats that keep hunger at bay, and some superfoods actually increase the number of calories you burn.
- Maintaining your youthful complexion: The antioxidants in superfoods reduce damage to your skin, and many foods are rich in vitamin C that keeps connective tissue strong. The combination means beautiful, healthy skin.
Flooding you with flavor: Who says healthy has to be dull and flavorless? Superfoods are delicious and can be used in all kinds of recipes.
List of Superfoods:
By choosing foods packed with nutrition, you’ll get the most out of your munching and get serious health rewards.